TVW’s new civics education program connects students across Washington State directly with journalists covering statewide campaigns and elections. Throughout October, TVW will host weekly webcasts with these journalists, inviting students and teachers to submit questions (either live or in advance) about the candidates and issues on Washington’s statewide ballot. Each informal 30-minute session, conducted via Google Hangouts, will be driven by these questions. Webcasts will be archived at TVW’s Campaign Classroom webpages, where teachers and students will also find short explainer videos about each of the nine statewide elected offices, as well as links to TVW’s extensive coverage of the statewide campaigns and elections.
The goal of the program is to increase education and awareness about this year’s statewide election, and to encourage students to vote in either the actual election in November or the Secretary of State’s Mock Election.
Like Teach With TVW’s Facebook page for updates and to share your thoughts on the program.
Learn about the statewide offices with Teach With TVW education modules. Check back throughout September and October for videos on all nine offices of Washington’s executive branch.
Visit TVW’s Elections 2016 page for TVW’s statewide election coverage.
View TVW’s Video Voters’ Guide for statement from candidates running for statewide office.
Campaign Classroom 30-minute webcasts will be held:
- October 10th from 11:20-11:50am with Jim Camden of The Spokesman-Review
- October 12th from 9-9:30am with Jerry Cornfield of The Herald
- October 17th from 11:20-11:50am with Jim Camden of The Spokesman-Review
- October 24th from 11:20-11:50am with Jim Camden of The Spokesman-Review
- October 26th from 9-9:30am with Jerry Cornfield of The Herald
- October 31st from 11:20-11:50am with Jim Camden of The Spokesman-Review
- November 2nd from 9-9:30am with Jerry Cornfield of The Herald
If you would like to participate in Campaign Classroom, or for more information about the program, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
October 17th connection with Jim Camden:
October 12th connection with Jerry Cornfield:
October 10th connection with Jim Camden:
Support for Campaign Classroom provided by: